Toddler said poisoned by necklace during Caribbean cruise

Toddler said poisoned by necklace during Caribbean cruise

SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico (AP) — A 2-year-old girl is recovering from what her mother calls a severe poisoning incident during a Caribbean cruise.

Samantha Gandy says she woke up early Wednesday to find her daughter Audrey drooling and burning with fever.

The 29-year-old woman alleges that medical staff on the Carnival Dream vessel diagnosed the girl as suffering from a virus and then downplayed the danger when told she could have ingested a necklace bead from a toxic plant while in Montego Bay, Jamaica. Seeds from the Crab’s eye plant are commonly used to make jewelry.

Upon arrival Thursday in San Juan, Puerto Rico, the girl was rushed to a hospital. Gandy says doctors told her the poisoning was nearly fatal.

Carnival and hospital officials did not immediately respond to requests for comment Saturday.

Copyright 2000 © Tinmari Blog News